Wills and Probate
Securing your family’s financial future can give you complete peace of mind.
At M & M Solicitors, you can take comfort in knowing our specialist lawyers will give the right advice to help ease the burden on your loved ones, protect your own best interests and ensure your wishes are respected.
With our extensive level of expertise, we provide the highest quality of services that are handled in the most professional, caring and compassionate way.

Our Service Include:

* Will writing
* Probate
* Power of attorney

Wills - Why should I make a will?

A will is a legal document that sets out clear instructions about how you wish your estate to be distributed upon death, ensuring all your personal belonging and assets go to your chosen family members or designated beneficiary.
Leaving a will means you can be sure that everything will be dealt with in the way you wish following your death. Without a will, Intestacy Rules govern how your estate is divided up. This determines who gets what and by how much, which can sometimes lead to unwelcome surprises, potential disputes and may not go to the people you would have chosen.
You can also appoint guardians in your will so that your children, under the age of 18, will be looked after by someone who cares for them. Without a will, your children may have to go into temporary care while family members seek permission from court to look after them.
The executor is the person who takes charge of your estate after your death. If there is no will, you have no control over who this will be. Your closest relatives will need to apply for ‘letters of administration.’ You may prefer to appoint a professional, such as a solicitor or accountant to avoid choosing someone suffering from the distress of bereavement.
A will allows you to make specific bequests or gifts to individuals. These can range from items of jewellery to sums of cash.
If you have remarried, a will can ensure any children from your first marriage get a share of your estate. Unmarried partners may not receive anything from your estate, unless you have made a will in their favour.
If you do not leave a will and have no spouse or children, your parents or siblings may inherit your estate, even if you would prefer it to go elsewhere.

When someone dies, you may need to obtain a Grant of Representation to deal with their assets. This proves your authority to administer the estate.
If there is a will and one executor or more has been appointed, that person would need to get a Grant of Probate.
Without a will, the next of kin will apply for what is known as a Grant of Letters of Administration.
The process of applying to the court for the grant and the document you use to manage the estate is often generically referred to as 'probate' or ‘confirmation’ if you live in Scotland.
The executor's job and the process of dealing with probate involves:
· Gathering any assets, e.g. money left in bank accounts
· Paying any bills
· Distributing what is left according to the will
Power of Attorney
A lasting power of attorney (LPA) is a legal document that lets you appoint one or more people (known as ‘attorneys’) to make decisions and/or act on your behalf. This could be if you are incapacitated by an accident or an illness, or suffering from loss of mental capacity and cannot make your own decisions.
There are two types of LPA – one relates to property and finances, while the other is to health and welfare.
There is also the opportunity to cancel an LPA at any time, provided you have the ability to do so.
Feel free to contact our office for a free initial consultation. We then provide a fixed fee based on the work agreed to be undertaken on your behalf.